Monday, December 11, 2017

Get Adobe Flash player

Article Details

BNS Wax Recommendation

Categories: Wax Reports | Author: SuperUser Account | Posted: 2/11/2017 | Views: 5109
American Birkebeiner
BNS Wax Recommendation

American Birkebeiner
February 25, 2017

Event Information

Event information can be found at the Birkie web site:

Thursday Update:  See below for our recommendation for Saturday if the race happens.  For the course to be safe and skiable, a great deal of snow will have to fall on Friday.  We have had very good luck with the below waxes in fresh snow on the Birkie trail.

Wednesday Update:

Due to the weather-related changes in the 2017 Birkie, we are making changes to the BNS American Birkebeiner Race Wax Service. We are still accepting skis, but we will no longer be able to deliver skis to the start. All skis will need to be dropped off and picked up at BNS Midwest in Bloomington.

BNS will still be at the Birkie Expo with SkiGo wax, so visit us there if you make it up to Hayward Thursday and Friday.

For those who do not want to do the race wax service, we will offer a full refund as store credit. We are extending our President's Day sale through Birkie weekend, so there are lots of great deals on skis, boots, clothing and wax. It is also a good time of year to get skis stone ground for next season.

Race Wax Service

BNS is excited to announce improvements to its American Birkebeiner Race Wax Service for 2017. We have re-structured our race wax service to make it more convenient, improve efficiency of drop-off and pick-up, and provide a Saturday morning race ski pickup at the start line.  We also have a few changes to our drop-off schedule and early-bird price incentives.  We will also have a presence at the Birkie Expo for 2017. 

Treat yourself to a full race wax application by our pro service team so you can relax and focus on your race, or just drop by our BNS Midwest location or our booth at the Hayward Birkie Expo to find out what wax is running fastest and stock up on whatever wax, tools and gloves you need. We will be testing all brands of waxes to find the fastest solution. 


Click for the latest updates From NOAA: Finish/Hayward     OO/Seeley     Start/Cable
Weather Forecast for Hayward:

    Thursday - Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
    Thursday Night -  A 50 percent chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
    Friday - Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Blustery, with a northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
    Friday Night - Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Blustery, with a north wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
    Saturday - A 20 percent chance of snow before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 26. Northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.


Thursday Update - due to the conditions this week we will not be testing on the trail.  Below is a recommendation based off the forecast.  If the race is to happen, significant snow must fall, our recommendation is based on our experience with fresh snow in the area.
Monday Update - the forecast continues to be a moving target this week.  Warm temperatures are sure to continue through mid-week, but the question for the weekend is whether a snow storm will materialize on Friday leaving fresh snow on the trails.  It does look like temperatures will at least dip below freezing later in the week.  Our recommendation at the moment is to remain flexible, prep your skis with Ski*Go LF Graphite and HF Blue, or Holmenkol LF21, and check back a little later in the week.  We will begin testing when we are on-site tomorrow and will post our results, but will still need to see how the forecast shakes out before having a clear recommendation.  One thing is for sure - we have a full case of Birkie Fever and are excited to get up to Hayward.

Base Layer:

Ski*Go LF Graphite

Race Paraffin:

Ski*Go HF Blue, Holmenkol Racing Mix Mid, Holmenkol Speedbase Mid

Fluoro Powder:

Holmenkol Racing Powder Mid, Ski*Go C105


Holmenkol Mid08 Block, Ski*Go C105 Block


Depending on how much moisture is in the snow or comes up from underneath, the Holmenkol Cross Structure tool can be a good option with one or two rollers, also the Finite CP17 should be considered


check back next year


Thursday Update: Due to the trail conditions we will not be testing on site this year

We will be onsite on Tuesday and will begin testing.  With the trail closed and possible course changes, our plan is to test on the North End trails.  We will post our results here and will continue to look at the forecast.

It is a good idea to start putting base layers into your skis early, alternating Ski*Go LF Blue with Ski*Go LF Graphite can help get your skis prepared for race layers.
Looking at the long-term forecast, we are seeing really warm temps through mid-week, then a slight cooling trend with the possibility of snow, rain and ice. Depending on which way the weather decides to go, we may see a big swing in course conditions. 

Waxes we recommend to consider and have ready:
  • Base Wax: SkiGo LF Graphite/SkiGo LF Blue
  • Paraffins: HF Violet, HF Orange, HF Yellow
  • Powders: C44/7 and C22 Powders. C105 Powder if colder than expected or more snow
  • Topcoats: C22 and C44/7 solid; C22 liquid. C105 solid if colder than expected
  • Kick: SkiGo HF Blue, HF Violet and HF Red hard wax. SkiGo HF Universal and HF Violet klisters
  • Base Wax:LF21
  • Paraffins: Racing Mix Mid & Wet or Speedbase Mid & Wet 
  • Powders: Syntec Mid & Wet Powders, Race Powder Mid. 
  • Topcoats: Speedblock Mid, Speedblock Wet, Speedblock Mid 08.
  • Kick: Holmenkol Red kick, blue spezial and special violet are all good choices. 

Test Results

We will begin testing on Tuesday on the North End trails and will post results here. 

Copyright (c) 2016 Natron Nordic Enterprises, LLC